MIchael Zerafa has revealed more details about the mystery illness that threatened to cancel his blockbuster bout with Tim Tszyu in July.
Zerafa was admitted to hospital early last week, with serious concerns around whether he would be fit enough to step into the ring on July 7 in Newcastle.
Promoters No Limit Boxing were left in the dark about Zerafa’s condition for more than 24 hours, unsure whether Zerafa was injured or sick.
Zerafa was scheduled to met Tszyu face-to-face for a series of promotional shoots and interviews on Wednesday, but those commitments have been postponed two weeks.
The 29-year-old disclosed more details of his fight-threatening medical scare this weekend.
“I came in for a normal training session and felt a little bit of a pain – a bit of a niggle and was just unsettled,” Zerafa said.
“I felt a little bit green, but finished the session.
“Later that night, I ended up just throwing up. I needed to go to the bathroom every two minutes and had pain.
“I just went to the hospital. I’m still waiting for results but they’ve said I’ve got an infection of either the kidney or bowel, or inflammation of the stomach.
“I was in a ball that night, I couldn’t be flying to Sydney to do press conferences and stuff when I’m in a condition like that.